Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Neocon Express Endorses Rudy Giuliani for President

I have anguished long and hard over this matter. In 2000, I supported John McCain over George Bush, and have supported Bush through the ups and downs ever since, even when he veered off course on important issues like immigration, tax reform and spending. I have never expected any leader to be perfectly in sync with all of my views.

Why Giuliani? I certainly have my differences with him; I tend to be more socially conservative, certainly on the issue of abortion (I’m generally pro-Life), I oppose gun control and the gay marriage thing is about #372 on my scale of important issues.

The matter that currently sits as number one on my radar screen is the global threat of Islamo-fascism, and there is one candidate that gets that issue more than any other, and that is Rudy Giuliani. I am looking for a real leader; the kind of leader who would throw Yasser Arafat out of the Lincoln Center; the kind of leader who would order the towing of UN vehicles with “diplomatic immunity” for violating NY parking laws; the kind of leader who would return a multi-million dollar check from a smug Saudi Prince who insults America; The kind of leader who could take the most violent, depressed, dilapidated largest city in America and turn into a safe, clean, economic miracle by lowering taxes, eliminating welfare as we know it, and cracking down hard on criminals; the kind of leader who has demonstrated a coolness under fire in a real-life emergency of the worst kind. It seems to me that most of the other candidates are more talkers than doers, whereas Rudy is a real doer with a real track record.

It seems to me that he’s compassionate and caring, but can be tough and even ruthless when necessary in defense of the public good. He criticizes himself (“Bernie was a mistake”) and laughs at himself occasionally as well. He is imperfect, is aware of his imperfections and occasionally admits them; a rarity for any politician.

After the war against Islamo-fascism, my second biggest issue is the matter of Supreme Court appointments. Can we trust Rudy to make the right kind of appointments? He has publicly pledged to appoint judges in the image of John Roberts, Antonin Scalia and Samuel Alito. He has looked us in the eye and made that pledge and we know what that means. The conservative Governor of Texas, Rick Perry, said that he met privately with Giuliani who looked him in the eye and made that pledge one on one as well. Perry has now endorsed Giuliani.

Another crucial issue is the question of electablity. I believe that Rudy is the most electable Republican candidate. A Northeasterner with a proven track-record of attracting crossover Democrats. Rudy can win, but his choice for VP will be important: My ideal Republican ticket for now is a Giuliani-McCain ticket. In any event, now is as good a time as any to make my choice, and I choose Giuliani. Let’s see how it plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it clean. Comments do not reflect the opinion of this blog and are the sole opinion of the commenter. We reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason. Of course, opposing views are welcomed.

Auto-flagged and monitored IP addresses:
Teksavvy - IP 76.10.141, Onterio, Canada.
Charter Communications - IP 68.188.68. Ballwin, Missouri