Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Unarmed and vulnerable

Bradford B. Wiles:

"I am licensed to carry a concealed handgun in the commonwealth of Virginia, and do so on a regular basis. However, because I am a Virginia Tech student, I am prohibited from carrying at school because of Virginia Tech's student policy, which makes possession of a handgun an expellable offense, but not a prosecutable crime. I had entrusted my safety, and the safety of others to the police. In light of this, there are a few things I wish to point out. First, I never want to have my safety fully in the hands of anyone else, including the police. Second, I considered bringing my gun with me to campus, but did not due to the obvious risk of losing my graduate career.

Third, and most important, I am trained and able to carry a concealed handgun almost anywhere in Virginia and other states that have reciprocity with Virginia, but cannot carry where I spend more time than anywhere else because, somehow, I become a threat to others when I cross from the town of Blacksburg onto Virginia Tech's campus. Of all of the emotions and thoughts that were running through my head that morning, the most overwhelming one was of helplessness. That feeling of helplessness has been difficult to reconcile because I knew I would have been safer with a proper means to defend myself. The policy that forbids students who are legally licensed to carry in Virginia needs to be changed."
I would argue that this policy, more than any other, may have been responsible for the high death toll. There was simply nobody in the vicinity who was in a position to respond with appropriate force. Only the most naive would buy into the idea that criminals would not obtain firearms if firearms are banned. Fire arms ARE banned in the community of Virginia Tech, population 27,000. Result? You make the call. Cocain is illegal, does that stop druggies from obtaining cocaine? Good people need to be in a position to respond, not to be disarmed and indoctrinated with a pacifist mentality where they can be slaughtered like sheep in the name of political correctness and criminal naivete.
Joe

Michelle Malkin writes a highly relevant piece on this matter at Real Clear Politics today: Wanted: A Culture of Self-Defense

Shelter's Limits

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it clean. Comments do not reflect the opinion of this blog and are the sole opinion of the commenter. We reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason. Of course, opposing views are welcomed.

Auto-flagged and monitored IP addresses:
Teksavvy - IP 76.10.141, Onterio, Canada.
Charter Communications - IP 68.188.68. Ballwin, Missouri